For over 50 years, San Damiano Retreat has been providing Franciscan hospitality to visitors on retreat at our beautiful and peaceful location in the hills above Danville, CA. Our kitchen serves buffet-style meals to visitors, residents, and employees as well as sit-down dining for special events. We are looking for a new team member for our kitchen.
Follow written and/or verbal instructions and recipes of lead cook to prepare high quality, delicious and healthful meals following proper food handling, safety and sanitation standards. Tasks include but are not limited to washing, cutting, chopping, mixing, cooking, baking, steaming, warming, storing, refrigerating, etc.
Set tables, set up buffet tables, prepare and serve coffee, serve plated food and desserts, walk the floor, politely interact with customers and respond to their questions, clear plates. Walk and watch the floor for any customer needs. Post-meal, ensure storage of left-overs in proper containers and at proper temperature, bus and wipe tables, and prep dining room for the next meal service.
Scrape + stack + rinse plates, load dishwasher, some hand dishwashing, unload dishwasher, vacuum dining room and mop kitchen floor, clean kitchen surfaces, organize refrigerator and pantry.
Qualifications & Attributes
- Possess high school diploma or equivalent; 18 years or older
- Able to read, write, and speak English fluently. Ability to speak Spanish is a plus.
- Possess California Food Service Handler Card
- Have prior experience at banquet hall or sit-down dining restaurant,
- Have neat, professional appearance and hygiene, follow dress code
- Able to stand for most of each shift; ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Flexibility to do a variety of tasks and to shift tasks as needed and requested
- Punctual and reliable
- Energetic and able to work within time limits
- Enthusiastic representative of San Damiano who is polite to customers and co-workers
- Team player who shows initiative and can take direction and feedback.
Salary and Benefits
Pay: $13.50-$16.50/hr (based on experience).
Hours: Up to 30 hours per week. Variable shifts, including evenings and weekends and some holidays.
Benefits: Health (Kaiser) and dental available after 90 day probationary period, 2 weeks paid vacation + paid holidays and sick leave, meals included during shift, 1 free retreat per year, gift shop discount, option to participate in 403(b) retirement plan.